Cowan School Districts 1132, 2305 and 1808 Museum
West School #1132, now a one‑room schoolhouse museum, is located next to Kolisnyk’s General Store in Cowan on PTH10. Moved to the site and restored in 2003, the town’s treasure has an oiled hardwood floor, cedar shingles and siding made by a student from the 1940s. Inside are blackboards, desks, books, maps, stove, boiler and more.
Located at: Cowan
Contact: Contact the Kolishnyks at their store, 204‑569‑4836.
Built in 1906 and now a provincial heritage site, the school still has its original teacherage and privies. Since its restoration, Horod School is now a museum. Horod is an ancient term for stockade or fort.
Located at: Horod
Directions: From PTH45, take PR354 north for 14.4 km (9 miles).
Built in 1922 with an opening class of 69 students, Marconi School was used until 1958. In 1992 the school was restored.
Located at: Rossburn
Directions: From Rossburn, go approximately 5 km (3 miles) north on PR264 to the junction of PR577, and east 17 km (11 miles) on PR577; watch for a sign indicating where to turn left (north), then proceed approx. 1.6 km (1 mile) north.
Contact: 204‑859‑2762, 204‑859‑2604 or 204‑859‑2429
South Bay School
It looks like a basic one‑room school, but South Bay School is a reminder of the careful attention to design observed by the Department of Education. The simple rectangular plan, with a band of windows on the south side and continuous roof surface over the entry vestibule, helped reduce construction costs. The school now serves as the South Bay Community Centre.
Located at: Winnipegosis
Directions: Located 7 miles (11.2 km) north of Winnipegosis on PTH20.