Inglis Elevators National Historic Site, Inglis, Manitoba

Asessippi Town Site

The remnants of the abandoned town can be found along the shores of the Shell River just west of PTH83 near Inglis. The community sprang up in anticipation of the coming rail line, but then disappeared soon after the railway was diverted elsewhere.

Located at: Inglis

Boulton Manor

Major Charles Boulton, founder of the town of Russell, brought troops to Batoche during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. His former home is now bed and breakfast suites.

Located at: Russell

Directions: Near the south end of Memorial Avenue

East Gate Registration Complex National Historic Site of Canada

This overhanging log structure built in 1933 is the only structure of its kind remaining in Canada. The drive through the park on PTH19 offers scenic vistas along the Manitoba escarpment.

Located at: Riding Mountain National Park

Directions: On PTH19 west of McCreary at the east entrance to Riding Mountain National Park

Former CNoR Station

Roblin’s 1906 Canadian Northern Railway station closed in 1978 and is currently operating as a restaurant and gift shop. The layout of the station remains the same as when it was built and some of the original station hardware is on display.

Located at: Roblin

Directions: at the junctions of PTH5 and 83

Contact: 204‑937‑8630

Inglis Elevators National Historic Site

Inglis Elevators National Historic Site

In the 1930s there were over 6,000 grain elevators in western Canada; now there are fewer than 850. At Inglis, the last remaining row of five standard plan grain elevators has been carefully restored. Guided tours, interpretive centre and arts and crafts gift shop. Admission charged.

Located at: Inglis

Hours: Open Monday to Friday, July 1 – September and by appointment.

Contact: 204‑564‑2243

Visit Website

Ivan Franko Heritage Hall (Ukrainian National Heritage Home)

This community hall is often mistaken for an Orthodox-style church because of its three onion domes. Halls like this one were common in many Ukrainian communities in the area, and always played a central role in preserving Ukrainian culture in Canada. This hall was built in 1934, and still features the original curtain and stage, as well as memorabilia celebrating famous Ukrainian poets such as Franko and Chevchenko.

Located at: Angusville

Life & Art Centre

Built in 1908 as the Knox United Church, this historic building is now home to the Life & Art Centre.

Located at: Roblin

Directions: 106‑3rd Ave. N.W.

Lt. Col. Wm. (Billy) Barker VC Commemorative Plaque

This plaque commemorates Barker’s national recognition as one of the most celebrated war heroes of World War I. An ace pilot, this young man from Dauphin gained international prominence and recognition and was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Located at: Dauphin

Directions: Dauphin Airport on PTH10 south of Dauphin

Park Theatre

Park Theatre was built in 1936‑37 of saddle‑notched logs to designs prepared by the National Parks’ Architectural Division. It was the only log cinema built in a national park, if not in all of Canada. The theatre auditorium features exposed log beams and rafters with decorative wrought ironwork.

Located at: Wasagaming

Directions: Wasagaming Drive

Red Deer Lake Heritage Site

The former community of Barrows sprang up almost overnight at the site of the Red Deer Lumber Co., on the south shore of Red Deer Lake. It disappeared just as quickly when the company shut down the mill in 1926. One of the remaining stone structures from the former community bears a plaque designating this as a heritage site.

Located at: Barrows

Directions: Located at Red Deer Lake, approximately 8 km (5 miles) north of the community of Barrows.

Riding Mountain National Park of Canada Visitor Centre

The Visitor Centre is the place to find all the information you need to explore Riding Mountain National Park. The discovery room is filled with displays, dioramas and information. The Centre also includes a theatre and reception area. Wheelchair accessible.

Located at: Riding Mountain National Park

Hours: Open daily from May Long Weekend to Thanksgiving

Contact: 204‑848‑7275

Visit Website

Satterthwaite Log Cabin

This pioneer log cabin was restored using hewn half‑lap dovetail techniques to depict 1800s forest cover and building methods. There are pioneer gardens, memorial plaques, and a sheltered, grassed stopping area on site.

Located at: McCreary

Directions: 5 km (3 miles) south of McCreary on PTH5 (on Burrows Trail)

Hours: Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays in July and August, or by appointment.

Contact: 204‑835‑2341

Selo Ukraina Ukrainian Heritage Village and Memorial Park

An outdoor 10,000‑seat amphitheatre, auditorium and multipurpose facilities offer a unique venue for festivals and entertainment such as Canada’s National Ukrainian Festival and Dauphin’s Countryfest. Located on the northern escarpment of Riding Mountain, the site includes a pioneer village and Ukrainian artifact museum. A memorial site pays tribute to historic people and events. Call for tour information.

Located at: Dauphin

Directions: 12 km (7 miles) south of Dauphin

Contact: 204‑638‑1345

St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church and Romanian Folk House

St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church is the only church of its kind in North America, together with a traditional Romanian home. The church was built in 1908 and is a replica of Romanian Orthodox churches in Bukovyna, with a simple rectangular shape with a rounded end, interior sculptured rafters, processional crosses and icons. The house, built in 1906, is typically Romanian in construction, with the characteristic deep‑sloping roof on all four sides with rounded, shingled corners.

Located at: Inglis

Directions: Five km (3 miles) north (PR592) and 1 km (3/4 mile) west of Inglis.

Contact: 204‑564‑2228

Visit Website

The Gilbert Plains Beef Ring Building

The Gilbert Plains Beef Ring Building

The Gilbert Plains Beef Ring Building represents the innovation of prairie pioneers in coping with their environment. This building was a small slaughterhouse, where each week during the summer a member of the Beef Ring supplied a steer that was kept overnight and processed the next day. Each member’s portion was placed in his sugar sack and hung on the row of nails along two walls. The Beef Ring operated from 1923 until 1951 when rural electrification made it unnecessary. Call to arrange a tour.

Located at: Gilbert Plains

Directions: From PTH5, take PR274 south to Road 129W and go east on the Russell Trail.

Contact: 204-548-2326

The Negrych Farmstead

The Negrych Farmstead

The Negrych Farmstead is one of the most impressive folk sites in North America. At this national historic site, you’ll find the oldest and most complete set of farm buildings on the continent built in the Ukrainian style of the Carpathian Mountain region.

Located at: Gilbert Plains

Directions: From Gilbert Plains, travel 17 km (10.5 miles) north on PR274, then follow the signs 3 km (2 miles) east.

The Smellie Block

The Smellie Block, once the headquarters for the Smellie Family Creamery and Mercantile, and also the main store and distribution centre for a network of rural stores, is now an historic building on Russell’s main street. The building currently houses a law office.

Located at: Russell

The Spinning Wheel Cairn

The Spinning Wheel Cairn honours Sifton pioneer families and recognizes Willard McPhedrain, founder of the Mary Maxim Company.

Located at: Sifton

Directions: 2nd Avenue S.E.

The Vault

Located in Eldon Cemetery in the RM of Gilbert Plains is a small cement building known as the mausoleum or the vault. Although the cemetery was established in 1895, and the 1921 municipal council called for tenders to build a vault, it was not constructed until 1923 and has only been used on a few occasions. It is one of a very few remaining in Manitoba and is in the process of becoming a provincial heritage site.

Located at: Gilbert Plains

Directions: Eldon Cemetery in the RM of Gilbert Plains

Trembowla Cross of Freedom Historic Site and St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church

Trembowla Cross of Freedom Historic Site and St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church

A stone cross and commemorative plaque near Trembowla mark the site of the first Ukrainian Catholic mass to be held in Canada (1897). A nearby collection of historic buildings, including St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church (c.1898, the oldest remaining Ukrainian Catholic church in Canada), a pioneer home, and a school, houses artifacts from early Ukrainian settlers.

Located at: Trembowla

Directions: 27 km (17 miles) northwest of Dauphin on PR362 and PR491 (Trembowla Road)

Hours: Open daily during summer months.

Contact: 204‑638‑9641 or 204‑638‑9047

Ukrainian Pioneer Dwelling

Ukrainian Pioneer Dwelling

When Ukrainian settlers first arrived in the area west of Riding Mountain in 1899, their first homes were small, tent‑shaped pole structures with roofs of hay, known as buddas. Michael Swistun was born in one of these structures in 1900, and constructed two buddas near the original settlement trail.

Located at: Olha

Directions: Drive north on PR577 to Olha and follow the signs.


Ukrainian Settlement Monument

Ukrainian Settlement Monument

A monument near Olha commemorates the 100th anniversary of Ukrainian settlement in Canada, and marks the site where, in 1899, 42 children and three adults succumbed to scarlet fever on their way to new homes and a better life in the Parkland region.

Located at: Olha

Directions: Travel 7.5 km (4.75 miles) north of Oakburn on PR577 (watch for “Historic Site - Mass Grave” sign). Turn left and travel west approx 1.2 km (3/4 mile) to the site at Patterson Lake.

Wigwam Restaurant

The building is an example of the rustic architectural style that shaped the character of Wasagaming during its formative years. The restaurant was constructed in 1928‑29 by its owners, O.J. Gusdal and Ernst Gusdal, employing Swedish craftsmen. The structure is sheathed in horizontal split‑log siding, and the interior walls and hipped ceiling are covered in golden‑hued, horizontal log siding.

Located at: Wasagaming

Directions: Wasagaming Drive