St Michaels Ukrainian Catholic Church, OlhaShown above: St Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church at Olha, Manitoba

Of particular interest to visitors to the Parkland are the churches. Never was the burden of homesteading too great, nor resources too scarce, for the construction in each town of one or more churches, often modest in dimensions, but grand in design, in the true spirit of Old World architecture.

The traditional onion domes are the dominant feature of most historic Parkland churches. Nearly any church you find in the Parkland will be worth a closer look. You’ll find them in every town, along the highway, and hidden among groves of trees down little‑used side roads.

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church

Built in 1911 at a cost of $1,500, this church is a rare example of log Ukrainian churches in Manitoba. It is designed on the cruciform plan with three domes (banyas), the larger dome dominating the centre of the structure and the smaller domes crowning two frontal towers. Other features are pointed stained glass windows, a large church patron icon and paintings of holy images.

Located at: Seech

Directions: From PTH45, take PR566 17.5 km (11 miles) north, then 3.2 km (2 miles) east and 2.8 km (1‑3/4 miles) north.

Garland United Church

Originally called St. John’s Ruthenian Presbyterian Church, it was built in 1916 by the Presbyterian Church of Canada who, at that time, had undertaken to convert Ukrainian pioneers to the Presbyterian faith. The church’s congregation became part of the new United Church of Canada in 1925.

Located at: Garland

Directions: Located in the village of Garland.

Gordon Orr Museum

The Gordon Orr Museum reflects the history of settlement of the Binscarth area with displays of a summer kitchen, general store, livery stable, old-fashioned one-room school and church, in addition to agricultural and military displays.

Located at: Binscarth

Hours: Open during the summer, Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to noon, and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Visit Website

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church

Built in 1937, this classic Byzantine church features icons painted by P. Lypynsky. On the church grounds is the belfry, each corner of which is adorned with an angel blowing a trumpet. Call for information and to arrange a tour.

Located at: Sandy Lake

Contact: 204‑585‑5314

Holy Redeemer Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church

This church is a shining example of pioneer ingenuity and spiritual strength. The church itself is built from a school brought into town from the Silverton area. Though plain on the outside, the inside is magnificently decorated with painted artwork and religious treasures.

Located at: Angusville

Directions: at the end of Wright Ave. E.

Lakedale Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church

The first Ukrainian settlers to the Lakedale District arrived in 1899‑1900. In 1904, under the leadership of Father A. Delaray, the present church was built. Services are still held here, with the building and graveyard being faithfully maintained by members.

Located at: Angusville

Directions: 9 km (5‑1/2 miles) northeast of Angusville (east of PR476); follow signs.

Ochre River United Church

The Ochre River United Church, a provincial heritage site, was built in 1908 with logs from nearby Riding Mountain National Park.

Located at: Ochre River

Our Lady of Seven Sorrows Church

This stone church, built in 1912 near Camperville, (also known as Cathedral of the North) marks the legacy of Roman Catholic missionaries who first visited the area in 1839, many years before large‑scale agricultural settlement began.

Located at: Camperville

Ruthenia Greek Catholic Church of the Ascension (1940)

A small and unadorned church with only a small cross at the top of the gable end and an adjacent bell tower, it is typical of religious architecture in Manitoba.

Located at: Sandy Lake

Directions: From PTH45 at Sandy Lake, take PR250 north for 12.8 km (8 miles) and east for 0.8 km (1/2 mile).

Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary

This memorable piece of architecture, built in 1937, replaces an earlier church from 1910. Jacob Maydanyk created some of the icons within. The dome is open to the inside bringing in light that creates a space that enriches the spirit.

Located at: Toutes Aides

Directions: Located 3.2 km (2 miles) south of Toutes Aides on PR276.

St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church and Romanian Folk House

St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church is the only church of its kind in North America, together with a traditional Romanian home. The church was built in 1908 and is a replica of Romanian Orthodox churches in Bukovyna, with a simple rectangular shape with a rounded end, interior sculptured rafters, processional crosses and icons. The house, built in 1906, is typically Romanian in construction, with the characteristic deep‑sloping roof on all four sides with rounded, shingled corners.

Located at: Inglis

Directions: Five km (3 miles) north (PR592) and 1 km (3/4 mile) west of Inglis.

Contact: 204‑564‑2228

Visit Website

St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church

Built in 1929 at a cost of $6,000, this church possesses a fine tower crowned with a tall spire. Pointed arches cap the windows and doors.

Located at: Olha

Directions: Located southeast of Olha off PR577.

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church, Dolyny (valleys)

Built by local farmers with a background in carpentry, this is an exceptional example of the distinct tradition of a cross‑shaped plan topped with a dome. It is one of the first churches where the dome opened into the church, creating a light‑filled space symbolic of heaven. This church is a provincially designated heritage site.

Located at: Menzie

Directions: From Menzie, travel north on PR566 for 7.2 km (4.5 miles) to PR470, then continue east for 3.2 km (2 miles), north for 0.8 km (1/2 mile), then east for 0.4 km (1/4 mile).

St. Margaret’s Anglican Church

Constructed by volunteers between April and May 1940, St Margaret’s was served by missionaries known as “Bishop’s Messengers” for 39 years. Then, Rev. Squires was followed by Rev. Lamb, until the service of deconsecration in 2003 marked the church’s closing. A complete history is housed in this municipally‑designated heritage building.

Located at: Mafeking

Directions: Located just west of PTH10 at the south end of town.

Contact: Terri, 204‑545‑2069 or Bob, 204‑545‑2204

St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church

St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church

St. Michael’s, one of the oldest churches in the area, was built in 1904. The original belfry, constructed in 1915, was later sold. Jacob Maydaniuk painted the interior icons in 1927. This building is a designated historic site. Call for more information and to arrange a tour.

Located at: Olha

Contact: 204‑234‑5236

St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church

A classic example of the style of architecture transplanted to the region from Ukraine, this church stands adorned with majestic onion domes and stained‑glass windows. Visitors to this unique church are always welcome.

Located at: Sandy Lake

St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church

This is the oldest Ukrainian Catholic parish in the area, with the first service held in 1902 in a private home. A log church was built in 1904, replaced by the current structure in 1933. The church features the prominent central dome and vivid interior iconography typical of all such churches in the area. Call for information or to arrange a tour.

Located at: Sandy Lake

Directions: From Sandy Lake, travel 5 km (3 miles) east on PTH45, then 10 km (6 miles) south on Ozerna Road.

Contact: 204‑585‑5243

Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church

The original church was built in 1901, but disagreements within the parish led to the construction of a second nearby church in 1904. It remained in use until 1959. Since its restoration in 1978, it has opened annually on its Patron Saint’s Day (July 12) for a public mass and family picnic.

Located at: Rossburn

Directions: From Rossburn, travel north on PR264, then east on PR577, then turn south on the first road past the Rossman Lake Golf Course.

Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church

Construction began on this church in 1919, but due to a failing agricultural economy was not completed until 1934. The church is still in use today. Also located in this area is the Holy Resurrection Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The church was built in 1904 from logs hauled by hand several miles to the site. The total cost of labour was $25.

Located at: Sunville

Directions: Located 19 km (12 miles) east of McCreary on PTH50, then 11 km (7 miles) south and 1.5 km (1 mile) east.

Contact: 204‑835‑2341

Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Open air services were held at this site before the church was constructed in 1938 by Michael Swistun and ten volunteers. Great care was taken with small details, and finely carved decorations are found throughout the church. A special service and dinner accompanies the Patron Saint’s Day each year on July 12.

Located at: Seech

Directions: From PTH45, take PR566 north for 16 km (10 miles).

Toutes Aides Roman Catholic Church

Construction on this municipal heritage site began in 1935. The style is reminiscent of Quebec parish churches of the 1800s.

Located at: Toutes Aides

Directions: Located in Toutes Aides, 40 km (25 miles) north of Ste. Rose du Lac on PR276.

Trembowla Cross of Freedom Historic Site and St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church

Trembowla Cross of Freedom Historic Site and St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church

A stone cross and commemorative plaque near Trembowla mark the site of the first Ukrainian Catholic mass to be held in Canada (1897). A nearby collection of historic buildings, including St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church (c.1898, the oldest remaining Ukrainian Catholic church in Canada), a pioneer home, and a school, houses artifacts from early Ukrainian settlers.

Located at: Trembowla

Directions: 27 km (17 miles) northwest of Dauphin on PR362 and PR491 (Trembowla Road)

Hours: Open daily during summer months.

Contact: 204‑638‑9641 or 204‑638‑9047

Tummel United Church

The walls of the first church were erected on June 21, 1887 and the new church was built in 1906. Tummel Church is the oldest active church in the Rural Municipality of Shell River.  Call for an appointment to view the church.

Located at: Olha

Directions: Located 9.5 km (6 miles) south of Roblin on PTH83; turn at the sign and go 5 km (3 miles) west.

Contact: 204‑937‑4955 or 204-937-2718

Ukrainian Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist

Completed in 1964, the new church building replaced one originally constructed in 1911. The building and its facade and domes are classic examples of the architectural traditions of eastern Europe. Located in the village of Garland.

Located at: Garland

Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception

Renowned designer Father Philip Ruh planned this church in the style of the ornate Baroque churches of Kiev, Ukraine. The church, built in 1929 and now designated as a municipal heritage site, is one of the finest examples of what have come to be called “prairie cathedrals,” with its towering dome and dramatic facade.

Located at: Winnipegosis

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist

The building was completed in 1932. The church celebrates its Feast Day on July 7, 2014 with the congregation of the Ukrainian Catholic Church located nearby.

Located at: Garland