Parkland Tourism Association | Manitoba, Canada

Churches



Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church (Seech)

Built in 1911 at a cost of $1500, this church is a rare example of log Ukrainian churches in Manitoba. It is designed on the cruciform plan with three domes (banyas), the larger dome dominating the centre of the structure and the smaller domes crowning two frontal towers. Other features are pointed stained glass windows, a large church patron icon and paintings of holy images.

Location:
From PTH45, take PR566 17.5 km (11 miles) north, then 3.2 km (2 miles) east and 2.8 km (1-3/4 miles) north.


Assumption of the Virgin Mary Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Rossburn)

A provincial heritage site, the present church was built in 1928 with timber from nearby Riding Mountain, and restored in 1997. The first log church was built in 1905 on donated land which is now a cemetery.

Location:
Travel north from Rossburn on PR264 and follow the signs.

Hours:
Interior visits by appointment.

Phone:
204-859-2508/2240

Phone:
204-859-2527


Bluff Creek Anglican Church (Silver Ridge)

The Alonsa Conserv­ation District has assumed ownership of the Bluff Creek Anglican Church and has created an interpretive centre for the area's history. A 4.8 km (3-mile) nature trail has been established.

Location:
Located 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Silver Ridge on Margaret Bruce Beach Road.


Garland United Church (Garland)

Originally called St. John's Ruthenian Presbyterian Church, it was built in 1916 by the Presbyterian Church of Canada who, at that time, had undertaken to convert Ukrainian pioneers to the Presbyterian faith. The church's congregation became part of the new United Church of Canada in 1925.

Location:
Located in the village of Garland.


Grotto (Ste. Rose du Lac)

An authentic replica of the Notre Dame de Lourdes grotto was constructed in Ste. Rose to commemorate the centennial of the appearance of the Virgin Mary to Ste. Bernadette in France in 1858. Construction delays resulted in the blessing of the site taking place a few years behind schedule, in 1961 — the town church had burned down during construction and had to be rebuilt. In total, 400 loads of stone were brought to the site, both by truck and horse-drawn wagon.


Historic Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resur­rection (Dauphin)

Constructed by volunteers during the peak of the Depression, this splendid church, a National Heritage site, features the early Kievan style of Byzantine architecture. Guided tours, complete with traditional Ukrainian cuisine, are available upon request.

Phone:
204-638-5511

Phone:
204-638-4618


Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church (Sandy Lake)

Built in 1937, this classic Byzantine church features icons painted by P. Lypynsky. On the church grounds is the belfry, each corner of which is adorned with an angel blowing a trumpet. Call for information and tour arrangements.

Phone:
204-585-5314


Ochre River United Church (Ochre River)

The Ochre River United Church, a provincial heritage site, was built in 1908 with logs from nearby Riding Mountain National Park.


Our Lady of Seven Sorrows (Camperville)

This stone church near Camperville (also known as Cathedral of the North) marks the legacy of Roman Catholic missionaries who first visited the area in 1839, many years before large-scale agricultural settlement began.


Ruthenia Greek Catholic Church of the Ascension (1940) (Sandy Lake)

A small and unadorned church with only a small cross at the top of the gable end and an adjacent bell tower, it is typical of religious architecture in Manitoba.

Location:
From PTH45 at Sandy Lake, take PR250 north for 12.8 km (8 miles) and east for 0.8 km (1/2 mile).


Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Toutes Aides)

This memorable piece of architecture, built in 1937, replaces an earlier church from 1910. Jacob Maydanyk created some of the icons within. The dome is open to the inside bringing in light that creates a space that enriches the spirit.

Location:
Located 3.2 km (2 miles) south of Toutes Aides on PR276.


St. Bede's Anglican Church (Kinosota)

St. Bede's Anglican Parish, which celebrates its 165th year in 2007, is the oldest Anglican parish in Manitoba. St. Bede's Anglican Church, built at the turn of the century, has an entirely wood-finished interior. The church is still used for services, and the church bell still resounds throughout the community.


St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church and Romanian Folk House (Inglis)

This is the only church of its kind in North America, together with a traditional Romanian home. The church was built in 1908 and is a replica of Romanian Orthodox churches in Bukovyna, with a simple rectangular shape with a rounded end, interior sculptured rafters, processional crosses and icons. The house, built in 1906, is typically Romanian in construction, with the characteristic deep-sloping roof on all four sides with rounded, shingled corners.

Location:
Five km (3 miles) north (PR592) and 1 km (3/4 mile) west of Inglis.

Phone:
204-564-2228

Website:


St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church (Olha)

Built in 1929 at a cost of $6,000, this church possesses a fine tower crowned with a tall spire. Pointed arches cap the windows and doors.

Location:
Southeast of Olha off PR577.


St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church, Dolyny (valleys) (Menzie)

Built by local farmers with a background in carpentry, this is an exceptional example of the distinct tradition of a cross-shaped plan topped with a dome. It is one of the first churches where the dome opened into the church, creating a light-filled space symbolic of heaven. This church is a provincially designated heritage site.

Location:
From Menzie, travel north on PR566 for 7.2 km (4.5 miles) to PR470, then continue east for 3.2 km (2 miles), north for 0.8 km (1/2 mile), then east for 0.4 km (1/4 mile).


St. Margaret's Anglican Church (Mafeking)

Constructed by volunteers between April and May of 1940, St Margaret's was served by missionaries known as "Bishop's Messengers" for 39 years. Then, Rev. Squires was followed by Rev. Lamb, until the service of deconsecration in 2003 marked the church's closing. A complete history is housed in this municipally-designated heritage building.

Location:
Located just west of PTH10 at the south end of town.

Phone:
204-545-2069 (Terri)

Phone:
204-545-2204 (Bob)


St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church (Olha)

St. Michael's, one of the oldest churches in the area, was built in 1904. The original belfry, constructed in 1915, was later sold. Jacob Maydaniuk painted the interior icons in 1927. This building is a designated historic site. Phone for information and tour arrangements.

Phone:
204-234-5236


St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Sandy Lake)

A classic example of the style of architecture transplanted to the region from Ukraine, this church stands adorned with majestic onion domes and stained-glass windows. Visitors to this unique church are always welcome.


St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church (Sandy Lake)

This is the oldest Ukrainian Catholic parish in the area, with the first service held in 1902 in a private home. A log church was built in 1904, replaced by the current structure in 1933. The church features the prominent central dome and vivid interior iconography typical of all such churches in the area. Call for information or to arrange a tour.

Location:
From Sandy Lake, travel 5 km (3 miles) east on PTH45, then 10 km (6 miles) south on Ozerna Road.

Phone:
204-585-5243


Sts. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church (1917) (Menzie)

The first priest in the area, a French Oblate, ministered to local Aboriginal peoples during the 1850s. His successor provided spiritual guidance to the early settlers and the church was built. Now, it is used only for special occasions. Look for a small circular window in the facade.

Location:
From PTH45, take PR566 8 km (5 miles) north to PR470, 8 km (5 miles) east on PR470 and then 2 km (1-1/4 miles) north.


Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church (Rossburn)

The original church was built in 1901, but disagreements within the parish led to the construction of a second nearby church in 1904. It remained in use until 1959. Since its restoration in 1978, it has opened annually on its Patron Saint's Day (July 12) for a public mass and family picnic.

Location:
From Rossburn, travel north on PR264, then east on PR577, then turn south on the first road past the Rossman Lake Golf Course.


Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church (Sunville)

Construction began on this church in 1919, but due to a failing agricultural economy was not completed until 1934. The church is still in use today. Also located in this area is the Holy Resurrection Ukrainian Orthodox Church. This (restored) church was built in 1904 from logs hauled by hand several miles to the site. The total cost of labour was $25.

Location:
Located 19 km (12 miles) east of McCreary on PTH50, then 11 km (7 miles) south and 1.5 km (1 mile) east.

Phone:
204-835-2341


Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Seech)

Open air services were held at this site before the church was constructed in 1938 by Michael Swistun and ten volunteers. Great care was taken with small details, and finely carved decorations are found throughout the church. A special service and dinner accompanies the Patron Saint's Day each year on July 12.

Location:
From PTH45, take PR566 north for 17.6 km (11 miles).


Tamarisk United Church (Grandview)

This is an outstanding example of a rural wood frame church. Local residents have meticulously maintained the building and its furnishings, and the interior remains almost completely original stained wood boarding.

Location:
Travel 8 km (5 miles) south of Grandview on PR366 to the Russell Trail, then head east for 3 km (2 miles).

Hours:
The church is open to visitors all year, during daylight hours.


Toutes Aides Roman Catholic Church (Toutes Aides)

Construction on this municipal heritage site began in 1935. The style is reminiscent of Quebec parish churches of the 1800s.

Location:
40 km (25 miles) north of Ste. Rose on PR276


Toutes Aides Roman Catholic Church (Toutes Aides)

Construction on this municipal heritage site began in 1935. The style is reminiscent of Quebec parish churches of the 1800s.

Location:
Located in Toutes Aides, 40 km (25 miles) north of Ste. Rose on PR276.


Trembowla Cross of Freedom Historic Site and St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church (Trembowla)

A stone cross and commemorative plaque near Trembowla mark the site of the first Ukrainian Catholic mass to be held in Canada, in 1897. A nearby collection of historic buildings, including St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church (c.1898, the oldest remaining Ukrainian Catholic church in Canada), a pioneer home, and a school, houses artifacts from early Ukrainian settlers.

Location:
Located 27 km (17 miles) northwest of Dauphin on PR362 and PH491 (Trembowla Road).

Hours:
Open daily during summer months.

Phone:
204-638-9641

Phone:
204-638-9047


Tummel United Church (Roblin)

The walls of the first church were erected on June 21, 1887 and the new church was built in 1906. Tummel Church is the oldest church in the Rural Municipality of Shell River which is still active.

Location:
Located 9.5 km (6 miles) south of Roblin on PTH83; turn at the sign and go 5 km (3 miles) west.

Hours:
Call for an appointment to view.

Phone:
204-937-4955 / 2718


Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception (Winnipegosis)

Renowned designer Father Philip Ruh planned this church in the style of the ornate Baroque churches of Kiev, Ukraine. The church, built in 1929 and now designated as a municipal heritage site, is one of the finest examples of what have come to be called "prairie cathedrals," with its towering dome and dramatic facade.


Ukrainian Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist (Garland)

Completed in 1964, the new church building replaced one originally constructed in 1911. The building and its facade and domes are classic examples of the architectural traditions of eastern Europe.

Location:
Located in the village of Garland.